TWO DAY COURSE!
Friday & Saturday, April 27-28, 2017
8:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Approved for 14 Core Competency/Primary Credits
Course is limited to 32 participants
Fee includes: course handouts and lunch
ABOUT THE COURSE
This course is ideal for Massage Therapists, Physiotherapists, Athletic Therapists and Sport Chiropractors who would like to improve their knowledge and skills of working with athletes in any environment. It will provide participants with Sport Massage theory and practical techniques that can be utilized at sporting events, with athletic teams, or in their own clinic setting. The knowledge and practical experience that participants will gain would be of great benefit for anyone working with athletes at any level including those who will be working with athletes at any Major Games or Olympic Games.
Participants will gain:
- An appreciation for the value of Sport Massage and its similarities or differences to classical massage
- A competency in several basic massage techniques as used in sport massage including compressions, cross-fibre massage, jostling, effleurage and petrissage,
- A competency in the theory and techniques of pre-event, post-event and inter-event Sport Massage
- An effective protocol when covering an athletic event
- A quick and concise method of gathering useful information to make the Sport Massage session more efficient
- An understanding of the specific indications and contraindications for a variety of Sport Massage circumstances
- An understanding of the physiological and psychological effects of Sport Massage
- The ability to provide the athletes of the sports with an excellent quality of massage
ABOUT THE MODERATOR
Remo Bucci RMT, SMT(C)
Remo has been a Registered Massage Therapist since 1995, a Certified Sport Massage Therapist since 2000, and taught Sport Massage since 2009 for the CSMTA. Remo had also taught Massage Therapy for 17 years, focusing his teaching in Treatments, Assessment, Remedial Exercise, and Anatomy. Remo incorporates what he has taught into his treatments along with Osteopathic techniques, Active Isolated Stretching, Performance taping, and Thai Massage.
Remo has been a member of the Integrated Support Team for Athletics Canada since 2010. He was selected for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil, 2015 IAAF World Championship in China, 2015 IPC World Track & Field Championship in Qatar, 2015 Pan Am Games in Toronto, 2014 World Junior IAAF Championships in USA, 2013 IPC World Track & Field Championship in France, 2011 Para Pan Am Games in Mexico, and 2011 IPC World Track and Field Championship in New Zealand. As part of the Canadian Core Medical Team, Remo has gone to the 2006 Winter Olympics in Italy, 2005 European Para Track and Field in Finland, 2004 Summer Paralympics in Greece and for the 2003 Summer University Games in South Korea.
Remo is currently the Chair for the CSMTA’s Examination and Certification Committee. He treats out of Club Physio Plus in Oakville. He also treats out of the Canadian Sport Institute of Ontario in Greater Toronto Area where he treats elite national and provincial athletes, as well as supporting teams such as Athletics Canada, Cycling Canada (indoor track cycling) and Swim Canada.
For more information and course approvals with other professional organizations please visit the Registration Page.
COURSE CANCELLATION DATES
Cancellations made by March 26, 2018 receive a full refund. Cancellations made from March 27 – April 6, 2018 receive a 50% refund on the full cost of the course. No refunds will be given on cancellations made after April 6, 2018 at 4:30 pm