TWO DAY COURSE!
Friday & Saturday, May 3-4, 2019
8:30 am – 5:30 pm
Approved for 14 Core Competency/Primary credits
Course is limited to 24 participants
$469 + GST
$609 + GST
Fee includes: Course handouts and lunch.
Important! *New* Includes athletic taping for the Pregnant Client!ABOUT THE COURSE
Important!*New* Includes athletic taping for the Pregnant Client!
Many, if not all, Massage Therapy Colleges include some training in Massage Therapy for Pregnancy. The question for both R.M.T.’s & Students is – do they feel competent, confident, & skillful in their M.T. practice with Clients who are Pregnant? If not, this is the course for You! If you can say you feel confident with the Perinatal Training that you’ve had (we have found this to be rather rare!), but still want to be in a room of Massage Therapists who are deeply passionate about Pregnancy & Massage Therapy, then join Us for this 2 day session.
You will be working with 2 very skilled R.M.T.’s who have spent the bulk of their Clinical Practices working with Pregnant, Birthing, and Postpartum Clients & their families (43 years of accumulated Perinatal M.T. expertise!).
The most important elements of Massage Therapy for Pregnancy will be covered within this 2 day session, with an expectation that each participant will leave knowing they can provide safe, professional, and knowledgeable care for their clients. We want You to feel pleased with your skills & be ready to enthusiastically put your learning into action with your clients. The training will include both theoretical & practical skills, and therefore, the participant should be prepared to give & receive M.T. during the practical components.
A Course Manual will be provided to each participant along with ample resources for further exploration. We will be requesting Participants to bring a Massage Table where possible, as well as M.T. supplies such as oil/cream, linens, and pillows in order to engage in the hands-on components.
- Understand the specifics of the Postural shifts that the Pregnant Person experiences during the 10 months of Pregnancy & learn relevant Orthopedic assessments to provide effective M.T. treatments.
- Understand some of the most relevant anatomical & physiological changes that occur & their ramifications for the Pregnant experience.
- Understand the theoretical dilemmas related to draping, positioning, & health status, and become professionally competent to make clinical decisions relevant to the individual needs of the client.
- Demonstrate competency in technique applications which will promote well- being, ease, and relief of the symptom presentation of the pregnant client.
- Develop a therapeutic approach to care relative to the client’s health history, client goals, signs & symptoms, & stage of pregnancy,
- Be knowledgeable of the Contraindications that may affect the Pregnant Person & be able to adapt a M.T. treatment which will be professional, safe, and follow the credo ‘Do No Harm’. A guide of important elements to include in a thorough Pregnancy Health History will be provided.
- A capacity to understand the possible range of health status from low risk to those experiencing higher risk complications.
- Ability to express confidence in open dialogue with the client. This will encorporate a therapeutic knowledge base from a client-centred, educational, & open communication construct.
- Understand how the practice of M.T. during Pregnancy can lay a solid foundation of confidence, well-being, and physical & emotional readiness as the client moves towards the birthing phase of her life.
- Connect in an inter-colleageal way with other M.T. participants and with Trimesters: Massage Therapy Education in order to develop an ongoing dialogue of resources & support through our Closed fb R.M.T. Perinatal M.T. Group.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of confidence in taking the knowledge from the 2 day training back into the community with a sense of marketing and business promotional savvy.
NoticeThis is a hands on course. Participants should wear appropriate clothing to allow access to various areas of the body. Dressing in layers such as sports bra, shorts and tank top is recommended.
NoticeParticipants must bring a table
ABOUT THE MODERATOR
Cindy McNeely R.M.T.
Now in practice for 33 years, Cindy McNeely, R.M.T. trained & practices in Ontario. Her broad-based teaching career began in 1988 after being encouraged & mentored by one of her beloved instructors.
In 1995, she met Alison Hines, & the birth of Trimesters: Massage Therapy began. Their goal was to raise the Standards of Perinatal Massage Therapy, & they are thrilled to see the progression of their work in the Perinatal M.T. field throughout Canada.
Cindy’s Perinatal teaching has taken her to 7 Canadian Provinces where she has taught on faculty within M.T. Colleges, for Assoc. Conferences (MTAM – 4th time MTAS, MTANS, PEIMTA) & through invitations from Physiotherapy Clinics (Nfld.), Spas (Winnipeg, Toronto, Barrie ….) & Independent Clinic Owners.
A strong believer in Post-Graduate Education, Cindy has trained with Penny Simkin, Ina May Gaskin, Suzanne Arms, Gina Kirby, Leslie Chandler, Shawn Gallagher, SOGC, the Touch Research Institute, DONA, U of New Mexico, IAIM, Hypnobirthing, Suzanne, Yates, Claudia Citkovitz to name just a few. She is honoured with the encounters she has had with such brilliant & revolutionary educators & clinicians.
Along with Massage Therapy, Cindy is an R.M.T. Doula/Labour Support Provider & has attended many births. She has also worked extensively with parents & their babies & children to provide knowledge, education, and hands-on therapy for Infants, Children, & within Paediatric situations.
Cindy created the first Canadian Level III Regional Perinatal Hospital Massage Therapy program which has trained both R.M.T.’s & students for over 25 years. This program exists within the High Risk Pregnancy Units, Labour & Delivery, Maternal-Newborn Units & NICU setting.
In 2001 Trimesters collaborated with the Atlantic College of Massage Therapy (http://www.actmonline.com) to create the most comprehensive College-based Perinatal Training available in Canada – a 125 hour program devoted entirely to M.T. during Pregnancy, Birth, Postpartum, and Infants & Children.
She has appeared on tv (Breakfast TV, CTV – Marla Shapiro), written articles (ICEA, M.T. Today, M.T. Canada, Massage Magazine), contributed to a Perinatal M.T. text – Pregnancy & Childbirth: A holistic approach to massage & bodywork).
She is thrilled to be invited to train the R.M.T.’s of Manitoba once again!
For more information and course approvals with other professional organizations please visit the Registration Page.
COURSE CANCELLATION DATES
Cancellations made by April 2, 2019 receive a full refund. Cancellations made from April 3 – April 13, 2019 receive a 50% refund on the full cost of the course. No refunds will be given on cancellations made after April 13, 2019 at 4:30 pm