Sunday May 1
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Approved for 1.5 Core Competency Credits
Course will be held live online with an on-demand option after the event.
Pricing for this course only:
$29 + GST
$34 + GST
Purchase all four webinars for the great price of $80 +GST for MTAM members and $99 + GST for non-members.
ABOUT THE PRESENTATION
This 90 minute presentation on Safe Practices in Oncology Massage will provide participants with a beginning knowledge of how to safely work with people with cancer.
An estimated 50% of Canadians will develop cancer. All massage therapists, no matter what setting in which they work, need to know how to adapt massage treatments in order to ensure their client’s safety.
Participants in this workshop will learn:
• The impact on the entire person of the complex side effects of biomedical cancer treatments (surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, immunotherapy, hormone therapy)
• Stages of healing and how they guide a massage therapy session
• How the lymphatic system is affected by cancer treatment and necessary massage adaptations
• The use of heat/cold in treating people undergoing cancer treatment
• The four massage adaptations necessary for safe treatment: Site, position, duration and pressure
The workshop is structured so that massage therapists can use the information gained to structure a critical-thinking approach to be prepared for when a person with cancer or a cancer history comes in for a massage.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Janet Penny, RMT
Janet Penny, RMT has extensive experience working with people with cancer and is the co-author of Oncology Massage: An Integrative Approach to Cancer Care (Handspring Publishing, 2021).
Janet aims to facilitate the well-being and optimal functioning of people who have undergone surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, immunotherapy and hormone therapy. Her work blends client goals, current research evidence and clinical experience along with human warmth and humour.
Registration opens February 7th, 2022! Please visit the MTAM’s Coming Events page to Register.
COURSE CANCELLATION DATES
Cancellations made by March 25, 2022 receive a full refund. Cancellations made from March 26 – April 8, 2022 receive a 50% refund on the full cost of the course. No refunds will be given on cancellations made after April 8, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.